Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FAQ: How does zombie spawning work?

It does make sense to me. It's not like it's remembering where blocks were placed/removed, it's more like it forgot where sleeper blocks were. The air blocks that held the property "sleeper spawn" were overwritten by the wood frame completely it seems.

It's a wacky and "meta" way of dealing with the problem, but at least there is a way.

Thanks for taking the time to test, Ghost314. I might try doing a POI base again after all.

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crater Creator View Post
    That doesn't make a lot of sense, though. The reason you can cut off the sleeper spawn, one would assume, is because the game tries to spawn a zombie but it can only spawn zombies 'inside' an air block. There's no reason for the game to remember where blocks have been placed in the past - it'd be a waste of memory.
    When the chunk is generated for the first time, it reads and writes the sleeper volumes, and if course the sleeper blocks. Just like any other block, when they're replaced, they're replaced... So the volume remains, but the block that actually works as a spawn point is gone, so in effect, no sleepers.

Think of the sleeper blocks as invisible and intangible zombies, not as air blocks. Because they aren't air blocks... You can actually import prefabs in a manner that they will pop back up as dummy blocks.

Community Moderator Crater Creator's Avatar
    Okay, I've updated the table to accommodate this information.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost314 View Post
    I wanted to test some other stuff anyway, so I decided to start a testing game with debug tools and whatnot. I started by clearing out all the sleepers in a POI and closed off all entryways, using God mode to get in and out myself. I then moved to another chunk and moved time forwards by about 5 days. That caused all the sleepers in the POI to respawn, and I wiped them out again, and put wood frames everywhere.

After moving to another chunk and moving time forward 5 days again, I verified no new sleepers were spawning in. I then picked up all wood frames and repeated the test. Once again no new sleepers were spawning in, so I moved forward a few more days just to be sure, with the same results.

So it looks like you are right, and I didn't need to go as far as moving everything in the POI up by one block . I suppose it's good to know that I can remodel my base without worry though.
    I just made a rather important discovery about this, and wanted to update the info to avoid misleading people. The strategy of covering up the sleeper blocks with something else, only works until you restart the game! At some point during startup, it must be re-calculating the sleeper volumes/spawn blocks, and if the space is empty, it seems to be putting the sleeper blocks back in.

I took a quick look at the code and found the spot responsible for preventing sleeper spawns that are close to player bedrolls. I'm going to see if I can hack it to also disable sleeper spawns that are close to land claim blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost314 View Post
    I just made a rather important discovery about this, and wanted to update the info to avoid misleading people. The strategy of covering up the sleeper blocks with something else, only works until you restart the game! At some point during startup, it must be re-calculating the sleeper volumes/spawn blocks, and if the space is empty, it seems to be putting the sleeper blocks back in.

I took a quick look at the code and found the spot responsible for preventing sleeper spawns that are close to player bedrolls. I'm going to see if I can hack it to also disable sleeper spawns that are close to land claim blocks.
    Okay, I've updated the chart with this new information. I've also moved the chart to the top post and stickied it. I still might move it to General Discussion instead of here in Questions... I'm still on the fence.

Survivor
    Update for sleepers.
    Where the player's been recently: Yes.
    Killing sleepers associated with an area supresses them for 5 days. When the timer is up, they can spawn again.
    I was at my base, left a fair distance away on a mining trip on day 5 and when I came back, same day, there were sleepers spawned. So, having been in a location recently doesn't supress the sleeper timer. Only an active bedroll seems to block sleeper spawns consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrophied View Post
    Update for sleepers.
    Where the player's been recently: Yes.
    Killing sleepers associated with an area supresses them for 5 days. When the timer is up, they can spawn again.
    I was at my base, left a fair distance away on a mining trip on day 5 and when I came back, same day, there were sleepers spawned. So, having been in a location recently doesn't supress the sleeper timer. Only an active bedroll seems to block sleeper spawns consistently.
    Thanks, Atrophied! This is a significant distinction, so I've expanded the table to describe where the player's been recently and where the zombies have been cleared out recently on separate rows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch Quit It View Post
    That's the one thing I have a problem with...which is why I think placing and giving the bedroll a NO SPAWN area would help. As you place another one in a new area the No Spawn is lifted from the first one placed. It should be 15x15 at least, but maybe 30 upwards , for taller buildings.

MTFGA
    I thought bedrolls already did a no spawn area around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crater Creator View Post
    But... that is how the bedroll works. Either Iím misunderstanding what youíre saying, or youíre misunderstanding how spawning works.
    It works that way whenyou are signed onto the server...once you sign off all bets are off and zombies CAN respawn in the vicinity of your bedroll. I would like a continuous area of Non Spawn until another bedroll is placed.

Regards

Ouch

Survivor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalex View Post
    I thought bedrolls already did a no spawn area around them.
    Mostly.. For example, you take over a POI and place your bedroll. No more sleepers will spawn when YOU go in and out of your base. Have someone else walk in though (like if you are giving someone a tour of the awesome base you made) and BAM! sleeper zombies will spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackgryphon View Post
    Mostly.. For example, you take over a POI and place your bedroll. No more sleepers will spawn when YOU go in and out of your base. Have someone else walk in though (like if you are giving someone a tour of the awesome base you made) and BAM! sleeper zombies will spawn.
    Hmm, I don't think that is how it supposed to work and personally I have never seen that happen in game. I have had a number of friends (we play co-op) go into my base to get something out of one of my chests and they never had any zeds spawn in on them. Yes, it was a POI and I was the only one with a bedroll down in that POI and I was nowhere near the POI at the time. Now I have seen zeds spawn in when someone goes into a POI base of another player when that player (whose base and bedroll it was) was not online at the time.

Hmm, I don't think that is how it supposed to work and personally I have never seen that happen in game. I have had a number of friends (we play co-op) go into my base to get something out of one of my chests and they never had any zeds spawn in on them. Yes, it was a POI and I was the only one with a bedroll down in that POI and I was nowhere near the POI at the time. Now I have seen zeds spawn in when someone goes into a POI base of another player when that player (whose base and bedroll it was) was not online at the time.
    Correct. The bedroll becomes "invisible" to the world when the owner goes offline. When online the bedroll guards the spawn area. So you can have as many visistors as you like, there will be no spawning zeds within your bedroll protected area as long as you are online. If owner goes offline and someone "passes by" close enough to trigger the sleepervolumes urge to spawn they will spawn.

Cheers

Survivor
    I think it may have something to do with if the person entering is friends in game with the person who the bedroll belongs to. For example, there was a server I played on where the admin would make a small well protected base that players could teleport to to trade items and cook food. He had converted a POI to make the base and placed a bedroll. Well, the sleepers volumes spawn after xx days of last spawn, etc.. So, if no one had been there in a couple days, then someone who wasn't on his friends list in game went to the base, it would spawn sleepers.

Not sure if I explained that well enough or not. lol But, it does happen. Also, when I was an admin on a server, every time I went to a players base that was a POI and wasn't on my friends list, it would spawn sleepers.

So, it works, for the most part. I think the code just has to be tweaked a bit. Bedroll should = totally disabled sleepers spawn under any condition. But, alas, it doesn't.

I've taken the liberty of copying some posts from the A17 Dev Diary to here. Since Prisma501 has corroborated Ouch Quit It's assertion that bedrolls only suppress spawns while the owner is logged in, I've added this information to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Prisma501 View Post
    Correct. The bedroll becomes "invisible" to the world when the owner goes offline. When online the bedroll guards the spawn area. So you can have as many visistors as you like, there will be no spawning zeds within your bedroll protected area as long as you are online. If owner goes offline and someone "passes by" close enough to trigger the sleepervolumes urge to spawn they will spawn.

Cheers
    Oh, is that how it works? I was fumed because I decided to hop on a PVE server a few weeks ago and was offline for a bit after destroying / reflooring a house, and logged into half a dozen sleepers in the house. One of them replaced the forge in there, too lol. That made me rage-quit the server.
    Makes sense, seeing what you said.