Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FAQ: How does zombie spawning work?

Colony Founder
    I don't understand most of what has been said. What I am trying to figure out is:
    Joel remarked once that there is a 15 block radius from the sleeping bag where zombies can't spawn, north, south, east, west, up and down. Which gives a 30 block radius from the center. But what about outside that 30 blocks area?
    If I take a POI or house that is 60 blocks long and 25 blocks wide and the back and side and front yards are also out of the radius why do I not see zombies spawn in those area? If a build a base that is three stories high and 45 blocks down underground area what keeps the zombies from spawning?
    At a house I took over that was a two story house and a huge yard, one of the mansions in Navzgame, I never had a zombie spawn after I put my sleeping bag down. I'm confused.

Community Moderator Crater Creator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janna3921 View Post
    I don't understand most of what has been said. What I am trying to figure out is:
    Joel remarked once that there is a 15 block radius from the sleeping bag where zombies can't spawn, north, south, east, west, up and down. Which gives a 30 block radius from the center. But what about outside that 30 blocks area?
    If I take a POI or house that is 60 blocks long and 25 blocks wide and the back and side and front yards are also out of the radius why do I not see zombies spawn in those area? If a build a base that is three stories high and 45 blocks down underground area what keeps the zombies from spawning?
    At a house I took over that was a two story house and a huge yard, one of the mansions in Navzgame, I never had a zombie spawn after I put my sleeping bag down. I'm confused.
    That's a radius of 15 blocks from the center. 30 blocks would be the diameter (if it's a circle rather than a square).

If you never see zombies spawn in the rest of the POI, I can think of several possibilities.
    • You are lucky.
    • You haven't been there long enough for it to happen. Remember, once all the sleepers are killed once, there's a cool down period before any spawn again, regardless of where they would spawn.
    • They do spawn there, but you aren't aware that that's where they're spawning. E.g. you are too stealthy to set them off, or they move after spawning such that you can't say from where they came.
    • You play coop and there are multiple bedrolls in play.
    • All the sleeper spawns happen to be placed within the bedroll area. I think they're mostly placed inside buildings, not out in the yard.

I believe there are basically three types of places a zombie can spawn.
    • In particular spots chosen by the level designers (sleepers)
    • Far away from the player but still on a loaded chunk (wandering hordes, screamer hordes, blood moon hordes)
    • Some random place (biome spawner zombies)

Among these, I think the last group will spawn on top of the highest non-air block. That would mean if you build a 3 story base that's not replacing a POI, any biome spawner zombies would spawn on the roof rather than somewhere lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Crater Creator View Post
    *Source: As of Alpha 16.4, these blocks have "CanMobsSpawnOn" set to false.
    Not sure if the last row in the table is (still) correct. Maybe it's better to test it yourself when you have time... I've made a small Random World and placed a prefab consisting of wood blocks at position 0,0. I didn't get any hord night spawns as long as I stayed in the middle of the platform.

Testmap:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/j7x5ip...itory.zip/file

Prefab:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/ekoyk7...refab.zip/file
    Last edited by Pille; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:53 PM.