Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Game suggestion: Weather causing in-game changes to zombies, temp, ect.

  1. #1
    Scavenger
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    0

    Game suggestion: Weather causing in-game changes to zombies, temp, ect.

    As an example,
    A volcano erupts nearby and causes the sun to be blotted out, causing zombies to run even during the day for a few days.
    Weather storm causing in-game lightning bolts to strike the ground and deal damage.
    Wind storm that can push players and especially zombies around.
    Floods and rainstorms, especially down river of mountains. Flashfloods too?!
    Fires? Setting things/woods on fire?
    Acid rain, requiring the hazmat suit?
    Landslides?

    What do people think about this?!

  2. #2
    Inventor
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    821
    Rep Power
    1
    The floods definitely aren't going to work until the Devs figure out how to do water. The rest of it might be fun, but I think the landslides might not work for the same reason as water. I also would remind you of the notorious lag when collapsing large structures/drop mining. Floods and landslides might be a bad idea because of that.

  3. #3
    Scavenger
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    0

    Welll....

    Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    The floods definitely aren't going to work until the Devs figure out how to do water. The rest of it might be fun, but I think the landslides might not work for the same reason as water. I also would remind you of the notorious lag when collapsing large structures/drop mining. Floods and landslides might be a bad idea because of that.
    Im hoping the improvements indroduced in A17 to the physics may help with this.

    Clearly, if accepted, it wouldnt be for a loooong time. But still, i think it would be great fun.

  4. #4
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    I think that lightning could be a cool feature to add, I would like to see lightning storms every 7th day. It could buff up zombies if hit or destroy you or your base.

  5. #5
    Tracker
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    0
    If the physics worked correctly, I can only imagine the insane griefing you could cause by causing a landslide to topple someone’s base. Or purposely build a dam to redirect large amounts of water elsewhere? Perfect.

  6. #6
    Colony Founder Brian9824's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,648
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pichii View Post
    As an example,
    A volcano erupts nearby and causes the sun to be blotted out, causing zombies to run even during the day for a few days.
    Weather storm causing in-game lightning bolts to strike the ground and deal damage.
    Wind storm that can push players and especially zombies around.
    Floods and rainstorms, especially down river of mountains. Flashfloods too?!
    Fires? Setting things/woods on fire?
    Acid rain, requiring the hazmat suit?
    Landslides?

    What do people think about this?!
    Disagree 100%, basically unavoidable events that destroy your bases tend to be bad ideas.

  7. #7
    Scavenger
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian9824 View Post
    Disagree 100%, basically unavoidable events that destroy your bases tend to be bad ideas.
    Then turn it off. lmao.
    Also, damage=destroy? Interesting.
    I said damage. Not destroy, that was someone else. :P
    Add a lightning rod to the game. All problems solved for lightning. xD

    Hell, even better, make the lightning rod able to charge batteries when it absorbs a strike.
    Last edited by Pichii; 07-12-2018 at 08:43 PM.

  8. #8
    Survivor
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    77
    Rep Power
    0
    Acid rain and/or radiated fog would be a cool environmental hazard. Block off all the doors and windows, plug all the holes to keep the fog out

  9. #9
    Colony Founder Brian9824's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,648
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pichii View Post
    Then turn it off. lmao.
    Also, damage=destroy? Interesting.
    I said damage. Not destroy, that was someone else. :P
    Add a lightning rod to the game. All problems solved for lightning. xD

    Hell, even better, make the lightning rod able to charge batteries when it absorbs a strike.
    If it can DAMAGE your base, then it can DESTROY it. It's all about balance. Anything thats unavoidable and can't be mitigated in some function is just bad design. Saying to just disable it is still bad design because all features need to be balanced with ways to mitigate it.

    The idea has been mentioned MANY MANY MANY times and comes down to that basic fact.

    Now with the new system replacing wellness stuff like taking health/stamina damage during monsoons, blizzards, etc would probably be possible. Perhaps even dust storms in deserts, but things that effect your base or POI's that are unmitigatable are just bad design.

    The weather can be countered by taking a different route, wearing specialized gear, etc. An earthquake sadly has no counter.

  10. #10
    Scavenger
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian9824 View Post
    If it can DAMAGE your base, then it can DESTROY it. It's all about balance. Anything thats unavoidable and can't be mitigated in some function is just bad design. Saying to just disable it is still bad design because all features need to be balanced with ways to mitigate it.

    The idea has been mentioned MANY MANY MANY times and comes down to that basic fact.

    Now with the new system replacing wellness stuff like taking health/stamina damage during monsoons, blizzards, etc would probably be possible. Perhaps even dust storms in deserts, but things that effect your base or POI's that are unmitigatable are just bad design.

    The weather can be countered by taking a different route, wearing specialized gear, etc. An earthquake sadly has no counter.
    Lightning can cap damage at 50% to structures. Not hard code if you are already adding environment variables.
    Also, Guess what? They are fixing or at least attempting to with A17.
    See the new vids? Zombies are gona be destroying buildings enmasse now.
    So much for your issues about 'destroying things causes lag' Its gona happen WEATHER you like it or not.
    x'D
    I also notice how carefree like you passed up my mention of a lightning rod to completely bypass damage but hey, you do you bro.
    Last edited by Pichii; 07-26-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •