Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: [07/11] - Message from the Team - Progress update

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon757 View Post
    Just asking, I see it says core single player, will there still be multiplayer with the update?
    Aye, everything will need to go along with the engine upgrade, that's just one of the things on the list

Scavenger
    I am happy to see things getting some love. People just dont understand that they dont have to do this.. Or they could charge us for the content.....

Games when i started gaming was 100% finished any type of update was co tent and you payed for it in the fourm of an exspantio. Most games however came 100% finished no updates we delt with the bugs. This. Bull♥♥♥♥ of kids( yes i am calling you all 5 to 35 kids) that act like they are the center of the world need to understand 1 thing. If you are unhappy with anything a game or a person. Just stop go away its simple.

Thank you the Dev team for the continued work you are doing. Dont mind all the kids that want everything spoon fed to them testerdayvwith no reguard the amount of work and time required.

Refugee

Great!

Love this game!...Thank you devs and team for keeping us in the loop.Have a great day everyone!

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    Thanks for the update Claire.

For anyone not familiar with upgrading a game engine.... try to imagine this....

You've got your basic car you've been driving around. It's a standard sedan, and only holds 2 people comfortably, but you can squeeze two in the backseat. It's not very fast, and it gets about 18 miles to the gallon if you're careful. Something like a slightly rust mid-90's Neon.

Now, you take that car and swap out the engine. You design a new transmission to interface between the engine and the wheels from scratch, because one didn't exist for this setup previously. After you get that all done, you want to add some nicer features that are in other premium cars. Like a backup camera, bluetooth, and a digital dashboard. None of these components have ever worked together though. So you have to re-wire half of the car to make it all work. Testing the wiring setup as you go. Sometimes after adding a system, you realize that there is a problem with the previous wiring configuration you just made, and have to start all over from scratch.
    Rinse and repeat that a few times before you can even get the engine running.

Now you have the engine running, but the gears aren't synced properly. You've got to do some running tests and re-configure the transmission to work efficiently with the car. While your're at it, you extend the vehicle a foot and give the back seat more legroom.

Now you've got the engine and trans working nicely, you program the computer to manage everything. This will require several road tests and dyno runs. Between each test is hours and hours of re-calibrating settings.

Then you realize the tires are ♥♥♥♥ for all this extra power you've got going on. Time to head to the tire shop and get a new pair of shoes.
    All the added weight means your brakes aren't strong enough, so now you need a whole set of rotors, calipers, and pads that are bigger and more effective. You also need to fully convert the rear brakes from drums to rotors.

And now that's all set, it's back to the dyno machine and road tests.

Then there's bodywork to do, paint, more testing, and you have to get the car re-certified for road use.

A year later, it's your new daily driver. It doesn't have a whole lot more horsepower that before, but it's designed to use what it has more efficiently. It's faster, gets better gas mileage, and seats 4 with ease.

(Sorry if that gets you lost too. Racing and modding cars is my other hobby. It's easy for me to relate the two.)

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon757 View Post
    Just asking, I see it says core single player, will there still be multiplayer with the update?
    This is phased testing. I can imagine it goes something like...
    Phase 1 - A game that actually boots on the new engine
    Phase 2 - Ensure front end UI is functional (all the game setup options, etc, we see before we start a game)
    Phase 3 - Ensure single player game runs correctly with all SP functionality
    Phase 4 - Ensure local Co-Op game runs correctly...
    Phase 5 - Ensure multiplayer game runs correctly...

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    you seem to be confused, TFP are developing the PC version of the game, this is the console section.
    No sir, I'm not confused. Pretty sure TFP have a console team, in which Clare is a part of. They have to give iron galaxy and telltale the things to port over. So you're thinking about the guy making your burger, I'm talking about the ranchers.

I don't work for TFP, I work on behalf of TTG and IGS. The messages come the console team which consists of TTG and IGS, but as TTG are the publishers most of the messages are from them. IGS would be more involved when it comes to patch notes and message contents like that.

Edit: To clarify, TFP do pass completed things to the console team to port, and sometimes there is some collaboration, but it's almost like two umbrellas rather than one.
    Last edited by Clare; 07-11-2018 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post
    I don't work for TFP, I work on behalf of TTG and IGS. The messages come the console team which consists of TTG and IGS, but as TTG are the publishers most of the messages are from them. IGS would be more involved when it comes to patch notes and message contents like that.

Edit: To clarify, TFP do pass completed things to the console team to port, and sometimes there is some collaboration, but it's almost like two umbrellas rather than one.
    Ooh.. food reference. TFP is like TGI Friday's, and TTG/IG is like Rallys.

Ranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post

Fair enough...I was kinda close...i think lol anyways I included this video madmole made a while back explaining the console update process. Hope it helps some of y'all

https://youtu.be/3O3HjqDNlmk

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by Death2gnomes View Post
    Sounds like great news, and happy for console players to finally play a16, but I still dont get why are they still a whole alpha behind?
    The reason consoles are so far behind is mostly due to the limitations on hardware imposed by said consoles. Aside from that, it's all coding. Making Asset A work with String B while ensure you're not crashing Thread C can be difficult, especially when you're not able to use simple workarounds because of the Console OS. Patience is key here.

Man.....i saw thread #54 and thought, holy crap, the update is here!!!

Oh well, still good news. Like it's already been said, there are some who will still complain.
    It does sound like we are still months away but it'll totally be worth the wait.

Good thing its summer time, we'll just have to go play outside until the update arrives 😐

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw_187 View Post
    Man.....i saw thread #54 and thought, holy crap, the update is here!!!

Oh well, still good news. Like it's already been said, there are some who will still complain.
    It does sound like we are still months away but it'll totally be worth the wait.

Good thing its summer time, we'll just have to go play outside until the update arrives 😐
    Yeah pretty much. I feel we are looking between October-December before the update but this is just my speculation. It wouldn't be a lie when they said later this year lol. I'm very interested in what all they are going to be able to do on console with this new unity update. Be very interesting to see how the game run after on both consoles and on top of that how much more will it allow them to add as in content.

Really at this point for me personally I have been on 6 days a week at work for the past 14 or so months not counting vacation time and holidays. They told us they bringing in even more work so don't see it letting up. So I haven't had much time to play much of anything. Now it is summer time it is sleep, eat, work, repeat and oh wait it is time to cut grass again lol. Between this and other games and A17 on PC when it hits will keep me going. But really excited about this when it does hit console it will be nice to play again with some friends and such.

Refugee
    Quote Originally Posted by Death2gnomes View Post
    Sounds like great news, and happy for console players to finally play a16, but I still dont get why are they still a whole alpha behind?
    Because you develop for the PC then port to the consoles.

Refugee

"Some features"

I'm quite curious as to what features they are... Block painting? Armour colouring? New weapons? Turrets? Of course there's new zombies... right?

Quote Originally Posted by MonzterAssassin View Post
    Because you develop for the PC then port to the consoles.
    Not quite. The PC version is an Alpha build that is still having core features developed. The upcoming release of a17 for the PC isn't just a usual update with a few features either. Almost the entire code has been re-done from the ground up. Not just because of upgrading to Unity 2017/18, but also because entire systems like buffs and zombie AI have been re-written from scratch.

The console version on the other hand, was taken as a finished product on Alpha build a14.7. It was pretty stable, but still had a few bugs. They ported that to the console, and have been getting updates from The Fun Pimps as items are deemed stable/complete enough to be ported over. If a system is unfinished (like electricity has been), it will not likely be ported over to the console. (Which is why I'm always amazed that they put the minibike in the console.)
    The console version is published by TellTaleGames, and is being developed by Iron Galaxy. This is completely separate and independent of the PC Alpha development. So much so, that you can almost consider them two wholly separate games.

Now the Console version is being updated to the newer version of Unity. I imagine you will see things like painting, the crossbow, updated zombie types, and possibly electricity. I do not imagine that you will see things come to the console like the new cars, the new buff system, the new AI, or bandits and survivors.

Which isn't to say the console isn't getting those things. Hell, if TFP things they have it stable enough, and IG is able to make it work within the horrid system specs of the console, it just might be in the next update.

I wouldn't get your hopes on anything huge though. I imagine you'll get the rest of what was in a15, a good part of what is currently in a16, and a very good bit of optimization. Which may be able to lead to expanded worlds, and a better multiplayer experience. Hopefully they'll also have found a good way to work around the bugs caused by Microsoft's horrible file system.