Page 66 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official A17 Developer's Diary for Developers

Quote Originally Posted by Joel
    We're making good progress on the new perk system and have some pretty cool perks coming your way. And the new beer cooler texture looks badass. I need a cold one after all the crunching I've been doing!

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    But 7d2d still uses only a single core on the CPU, right? So instead of transforming the code to a GPU already in use it would be much easier to just use one of the idle CPU cores.
    The A* code already runs on separate threads and is fast, so not a performance issue.

Fun Pimps Staff
    You will be soooo happy to know I fixed the dog and wolf character controller height today, so they can fit through 1m high openings.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Oh, come on, you are taking away the fun from yourself to make your own implementation ...
    We had our own implementation that is now in the trash bin of history.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrophobic View Post
    does that mean zombie crawlers will actually crawl through those openings now?
    Crawlers are not dogs or wolves.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Orsey View Post
    FAATAL, can you make XML parametr for player character height with state 1 and 0.

0 - [default] standart height, player can't go into 1m block.
    1 - player can go into 1m block
    We could, but we already have plenty to do for A17.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Space4Ace View Post
    Feature freeze means that no new features are added to the game, but whatever feature already implemented might still being worked on and so, not yet complete.
    And that could have changed since June or July... Or whatever!!! I give up. Feeding the troll only makes him bigger and meaner.
    Right. Back in June I said:
    "Really it should be called Major Feature Freeze, since smaller planned features are still getting added that we deem required for A17."

Tweaking features so they work how you want them to, happens right up to the done date.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DaVegaNL View Post
    NPC's having AI and pathing... what do those traders need pathing for??
    NPCs don't path yet. I'm sure he meant zombies and animals. The entities that actually move.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by trielkee View Post
    Hope they add sound occlusion in the future.
    There is sound occlusion code, but it is disabled. Why? I would guess it is either slow or buggy.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by dwallorde View Post
    Oh ♥♥♥♥ so weather got some work done to it??
    Don't get too excited. It was more like things changed. Weather broke. Fixes are being made and since the whole system seems too complicated and hard to maintain, it is being improved by simplifying and changing how it works.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazmyr View Post
    *Brand new vehicle code with real physics.
    - Really looking forward to this. No more minibike falling through the world!
    Hopefully. There is a vehicle manager that tries to stop that by tracking and saving them. It was added before my time and is still in the game.

It has not been an issue for me since I started work on vehicles, but vehicles interact with the world very differently now, so only time will tell if disappearing can still happen.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wolffblood View Post
    Oh? That's cool. I'm hoping just the slow part, because with all the changes in A17E, I'm guessing it wouldn't be as slow now? Or it may need to be rewritten after all the changes. Hmmmm.
    A17 changes should not have effected the existing occlusion, since it is basically just raycasts and looking at types of blocks hit. Doing that for lots of sounds is just inherently slow.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazmyr View Post
    Thank you for the clarification @Faatal!

To be safe, until we know for sure, I will continue to remove the wheels whenever I park a vehicle.
    You can't remove parts from vehicles anymore. You will be able to take (pickup) some vehicles like the bicycle.

I'm shamelessly copying a reply from MM on Reddit (of all places) of yesterday I just found.

"Guys its getting very close. This build almost feels like a sequel. I'll be showing off the new attributes and perks I just finished in a series of videos very soon. I'm polishing up the new weather survival now."

And another one:

"Yes as far as I know we'll be on Steam workshop. I'd like to be able to add a poi to a list or give it a tag and have it automatically added to the server."

https://www.reddit.com/r/7daystodie/...greed_to_this/
    I asked Joel about this comment and he said that he was talking about post gold for Steam workshop. Steam workshop will not be supported for A17.

Thanks!

I found another reply, a bit farther down.

"It means there is so much work put into it, it feels more like a new game than just another alpha. Smell is gone it was an abstract that was too hard to communicate in a game. All npcs have new AI and pathing. I get 60 fps, upgrade your potato. No audio occlusion. Tons of new content. Hordes are a serious threat now. Brand new vehicle code with real physics. All new sleeper code."

NPC's having AI and pathing... what do those traders need pathing for??

Also, smell is gone? Maybe it's time to update the first post, Roland.
    1) Smell is gone apparently. Joel clarified that it was slowing down the game and causing hidden bugs. Rather than spend resources and time to try and fix it they have gone to the more abstract bar showing how aware zombies are of you but smell is not part of the equation. Whether that means smell is cut for good or not is unknown but it is not going to appear in A17.

2)NPCs = Entities. So animals, zombies, and whatever other non player entities the game might have in the future will all make use of the new AI and pathing. His comment was about the pathing and not about NPC survivor characters of which I can confirm there are still none in the game other than the traders.