Page 35 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official A17 Developer's Diary for Developers

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
    Everything has its pros and cons.

If we are going to have a bunch of zombies on top of us digging down and making it obvious we are there all the time then it's pretty pointless and just sucks.
    I'm not opposed to if you go deep enough they can't detect you regardless of day or zombie type. I just think you should have to put in some effort to thwart the zombie threat. Dig down 10 meters is easy, they should find you. Go up on a hill and dig down 80m and add ladders or a long slope takes work. In that case I'd rather there be other threats like you have trouble breathing or once in a while a tunneling zombie/mole finds you.

Finding your entrance is an option, but pathing will only do about 40m, so it would be more like them hanging around the entrance cause they smelled something, but you can make multiple entrances, which is fine, since you don't know which one is safe until you check it out.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbain5 View Post
    @Faatal

wait a 40 range detection? is that 40 blocks? 40 pixels, what exactly is this in a quantifiable way? cause 40 blocks is a huge range when in buildings.
    40 meters which is 40 blocks. The grid is currently 88m, but players are not in the exact center.

Fun Pimps Staff
    That is not simple. Many values in XML.

Standard zombie:

<property name="MaxViewAngle" value="180"/>
    <property name="SightRange" value="30"/> <!-- distance in m -->
    <property name="SightLightThreshold" value="-2,150"/> <!-- how well lit you have to be for the zombie to see you at min,max range -->
    <property name="SleeperWakeupSightDetectionMin" value="-40,5"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. sight capability - "I see you" light value at point blank -->
    <property name="SleeperWakeupSightDetectionMax" value="340,480"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. "I see you" light value at "SightRange" -->
    <property name="SleeperSenseSightDetectionMin" value="-10,0"/> <!-- same for groaning, not waking -->
    <property name="SleeperSenseSightDetectionMax" value="200,300"/>
    <property name="SleeperNoiseSenseThreshold" value="2,13"/> <!-- Indiv.Random. hearing capability - "I hear something" noise value -->
    <property name="SleeperNoiseWakeThreshold" value="20,20"/>

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Dual bosom riding is already in but itís too jiggly at the moment....
    I do wonder if the jigglity slider will make it into the release.

People. People never change.

Fun Pimps Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by danielspoa View Post
    @faatal

I assume you are the one behind zombies attacking trees, as u talked about this many pages before. So, recently I asked Roland about some animals against trees and from the results they don't interact. It seems dogs are intended, but can you confirm bears are intended to not attack trees as well? or is it something you plan to change?
    The code should have them attacking trees. What they will actually do is undecided.

Quote Originally Posted by Drithyl View Post
    It was called a flaw by developers themselves. Zombies standing right above you running in circles unable to do anything is bad pathfinding. Whether you want bad pathfinding or not (for some reason), is up to you, but it's certainly a flaw.

I'm not telling anyone how to play. I don't think others are, either. They're giving opinions. I didn't tell you or others "you can't do this in the game" or "you can't do that in the game".
    The improved pathing means that you can build underground all you want and no one is going to call it an exploit.
    You're welcome. =P

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbain5 View Post
    thank you, if I get this right, this particular zed can hear very loud noise up to 20 blocks away? trying to see how far underground people can be to not be detected. too many people seems concerned about that. now if I comb through the xmls with the above line highlighted I should find all the zeds max hearing range?
    Most/all of these stealth settings are in A16, too. Just take a look...

Quote Originally Posted by Demonoid74 View Post
    Just like The Computer in the P&P game Paranoia...happiness IS mandatory!
    You technically have the choice of being used as reactor shielding.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrt View Post
    Is it safe to presume that the added "" means we're close?
    What you see there are the eye slits of the operatives' cameo suits as they force this civilian to smile at gunpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sheetzngeegles View Post
    I have a question re: the -Y pathing. Does that also mean that if in multifloor POI, and you are sensed that zombies will now break through the ceiling?
    Of course. They would first try to find a quicker way to this juicy morsel but if the floor between you and them is the only way...

Zombies are supposed to be the threat in this game. That they used to be smart as rocks in the past should not be taken as a guarantee.
    Last edited by Gazz; 08-10-2018 at 12:34 PM.

No, but you can paint them.
    Paint them red, make them go faster!
    Paint them pink for more family-friendly massacre.
    Paint them black for a true Fortress of Doom. (black spikes really are critical here)

Or build steel spikes and then paint them in simple wood. =P

On a more serious note: What new and interesting functionality would other types of spikes have?

Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    The Shotgun Messiah Factory is looking tight with new pbr textures and colored lighting.
    Last edited by Roland; 08-10-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post
    Zombies are more horrifying than ever with the new shaders and lighting!

Last edited by Roland; 08-11-2018 at 01:47 AM.

Undisclosed bunker somewhere on planet earth
    I guess I should step in and mention that the entire system is programmed with a Size variable and the code for generation scales.

8k is indeed the baseline as Roland put it. 8k is a good test to optimize as it is just a bit bigger than nav and I want it to take less than 10 minutes.

Generating larger sizes will work, will load, and will play. The variable for this will be exposed when you get a17. I'm doing testing on how long it takes things and putting together a semi-accurate timer so you know how long it's going to take total. The map generation is fully threaded aside from exporting to disk so you will be able to read messages on what is happening and how long is left, it will not lock up the game while generating. For dedi owners it will prevent joining until the map is generated and loaded.

So, 20k obviously takes a very long time to generate, the time goes up exponentially as the total km size does but the only technical limitation would be the hardware generating the map.

The reason we don't just load you in then generate as you go is that when making roads, placing towns, and generating other things; a lot of data has to exist. The map is put together in layers and that's done on a world level. It's not something that can be skipped around and is slower when done in such a manner. Now rwg maps run as fast as navezgane as far as chunk load times and that is something we've wanted for a long time. No special code during run time for random maps is a good thing.

The depth of editing that can be done to a randomly generated map after the fact now is awesome. You can change player spawns, move POIs, add new pois, add new roads, remove roads, edit the height map, etc. All things in rwg are accessible in the world folder just like with nav.

I wouldn't take away the ability to have large maps, that's something I also love. RWG is my baby after all. Don't panic and rest well in the fact that you won't be hard limited to 8k and that I've actually added more moddability with this change.

Undisclosed bunker somewhere on planet earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzalicious View Post
    Will the options above 8x8 force the server into the modded section on MP however since it's now an option?
    It's not a game option per se, it's a generation option. The size variable is not tied to server stuff in that manner. Now if it's using custom pois it will still go to modded.