Page 100 of 101 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101 LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1501

Thread: The Official A17 Developer's Diary for Developers

Quote Originally Posted by DUST2DEATH View Post
    If they have the horsepower, let'em use it. Let them spend 12 hours generating a 32K map, 24 hours, 64K, whatever.

If you said you have problems with chunks/regions/whatever at a base technical level, more people would be accepting of the limitations.

But as it stands, you just said "I prefer", which just off-sided a whole raft of community members.
    Still need to load a massive height map into the game then to get the geography, roads, biomes... so you mean exclude potato pc owners from being able to join your server? Its not that simple, people EXPECT it to work if you make that option and the ram needed to generate a map like that is more than most people have (at least currently). Anyhow this stuff is above my pay grade. I'm not saying no, but we're not focused on size right now, but bugs and performance. Without the latter the prior is useless. How happy will be people be if I said "heres your infinite map with floating pois, moses parted seas, roads that run into cliffs", etc? We're fixing bugs, optimizing map gen time and making it pretty, THEN we can look into size. Priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by RestInPieces View Post
    Gazz's way is sneakier, but yes yours is more practical :P
    Why don't you also make traders have a limited pool of dukes available, that is refreshed every x-y days with small random variations? Could also give the player ways to upgrade that pool.
    Because other players would dry up all the money and then you couldn't sell anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychodabble View Post
    Can you go into more detail here? Who is this Duke and in what way is he "in charge"? There are still zombies everywhere and the Duke provides no services that would cause me to owe him allegiance, nor any threat that would obligate my fealty. If somebody raids my base can I call the Duke and demand restitution?
    The duke will probably raid your base. He's like a neagan of TWD. Can't really get into details for spoilers the duke ships with the gold version of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirion View Post
    And this is why one of the first mods I downloaded was higher quality = higher damage. Yeah sure you can put more mods in it... but... meh, especially early game with no mods.

Plus, I am pretty sure the math works out such that even a fully kitted Q6 weapon now is weaker than a Q600 weapon was in A16. I was underwhelmed on the damage in A17 on fully kitted items.
    Thats because there are perks too that inflate damage the most. Add bleeding or stun or AOE knockdown to it and its even more OP. You can't compare things out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirion View Post
    Yeah, I'm not literally paying anyone lol. I meant pay NPCs with in game coins :P
    No we're not Bethesda... yet. Coding in followers in a fully destroyable world is a nightmare, and would subtract from the total entities alive in the world and the people (in general) want more zombies and more players not crappy NPCs that get stuck on stuff. I'd love to have followers but until we get believable bandits its not on the table at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackelmyer View Post
    Sorry... Followers in a fully destroyable world, yet... digging zombies. hm.

And... Some things about the game don't have to be 100% realistic. They can be... game. I mean, you could do NPC's like loads of other games where their setup as stations or as sentry building structures or simply a plate where the NPC should exist. Then make them like a trader or like a turret. There's loads of things like that which could be done and not affect a destroyable world.
    yep, I said probably not followers, but will have npcs, or already do with traders. I'd rather say probably not and then suddenly we have it than promise it and never deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by PPanda0421 View Post
    That 'crappy NPCs' getting stuck part all depends on you guys, actually. IMO adding NPCs (bandits/followers/wanderers) whatever you want to call them is the next major step in this world. You could technically say it's already in the game in the form of traders but we want more than just the absolute basics. So I think it should be on the table in the near future. I've seen mods with decent NPC features so if you're stuck you could probably ask them for help.

No, only servers want more players. SP people want to play by themselves, hence SP. Somehow I get a feeling that people want more NPCs (and related features) rather than more zombies. Perhaps you guys could confirm with some kind of survey/poll. I mean with the recent changes to zombies where loot is not guaranteed, I could care less if there was a new type of zombie. Before certain zombies dropped certain loot like the nurse would drop health-related items and cops would drop guns/ammo but you guys removed all that. So right now, zombies are seen as XP or as an obstacle for some quest - it really doesn't matter what they look like. Obviously some zombies are tougher to kill than others but all you have to do is pump more bullets into them.
    Its really about being realistic on what you can deliver at an acceptable quality level. One man's sweet AI is another mans bug ridden garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackelmyer View Post
    Ah. Literally people who follow you around "followers". Gotcha. Make way more sense now. Thanks Madmole! And totally understand the the commitment issues. Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, bandits and enemy NPCs will come for sure, but friendly npcs you can recruit and follow you around? Thats a lot harder to deliver at an acceptable quality level so probably not this game.

The coins are supposed to be made of brass, the most valuable commodity in the apocalypse because you can make ammo from brass. Why it can't be smelted is a bug or a design I wasn't in on.

Quote Originally Posted by jdifran View Post
    Continued balancing of character advancement and economy.
    No prepared foods for sale, only canned goods.
    MOAR MODS for everything.
    Varied zombie special abilities.
    These I can confirm but the vending change might come to a 17 patch, its done already.

I've already designed nearly 100 perk books. The old perk books will be deleted. The new perk books are not temporary perks, but permanent once you read them. There are collections of books, typically 5 to 8 volumes. Each volume is a unique perk but if you collect the entire set you get a special collector bonus perk that is more OP than the others.

Here are a couple sets:
    Night Stalker Books
    Night stalker Vol 1 Do 5% more sneak damage at night.
    Night stalker Vol 2 Sneak 5% better at night.
    Night stalker Vol 3 Knives do 5% more damage at night.
    Night stalker Vol 4 Never encumbered at night.
    Night stalker Vol 5 Bows do 5% more damage at night.
    Night stalker Vol 6 Gain 5% more xp from sneak kills at night
    Night Stalker Collection Perk Do an extra 50% sneak damage to sleeping victims at night.
    Lucky looter Books
    Lucky looter Vol 1 Find more dukes in loot
    Lucky looter Vol 2 Find more ammo in loot
    Lucky looter Vol 3 Find more brass in loot
    Lucky looter Vol 4 Find more books in loot
    Lucky looter Vol 5 Find more food in loot
    Lucky looter Vol 6 Find more medical items in loot
    Lucky Looter Collector Perk Find more mods in loot

Quote Originally Posted by jdifran View Post
    This is all kinds of awesome. Between this and more mods for items, looting should become addicting again.
    Yes I didn't like how book stores felt worthless for the most part. If you find a mod schematic you probably can't craft it yet, and the other perk books felt confusing or worthless, I'd always sell them if I could stare at them in my inventory long enough.

I hope to add some old novels that always give xp so the filler books are always useful to anyone.

We have big plans for L Alt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pichii View Post
    Good compromise guys.
    Having steel at a reasonable level definately makes me feel like im not stuck in 400bc for no apparent reason.
    I like having to just play the game, save my resources and worry about scrapping and looting rather than just xp farming to get to higher levels to have fun.
    Love the skill point reworks too. While you guys didnt do exactly as id hoped, i have to agree, this is a great and healthy compromise! Well done.
    My next suggestion is allow for default exp modification in game. 2x,4x,8x and 16x xp values should probably be default mod choices.
    Its already in dude.

Did you try the new setting AI BLOOD MOON BLOCK DAMAGE? You can make them do as little as 25%. Overall Difficulty nerfs their damage and nerfs the game stage too. hell you can turn off blood moons now entirely too, so theres enough settings in there to please most players preferences, and more to come.