Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Editing Height Maps

Nice, never seen this before, but then again I've been out of the loop with media design stuff for a while now.
    Looks good, might even hook up the old tablet for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppycur View Post
    Yeah, because you're also going to find that paint.net and gimp both will screw over your PNG file. Krita seems to work nicely though.
    True, it appears they can't maintain exact RGB values on both import and export.. Never noticed that before with GIMP.

Refugee
    Anyone get the Biome editing to work yet? I can get it to load using the edited biomes.PNG but the areas of burnt forest I replaced with normal forest appear as holes in the map.

Edit* Got it working
    Last edited by Brycie; 12-11-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Don't know if this helps, but I've noticed with the biomes PNG if I save it as 32 bit in paint.net it throws a null reference error with chunk generation. If I do the auto detect setting, it then saves it as 8 bit and I run into the issue that Guppy did in his video, that only snow biomes work.

I also noticed that after saving in paint.net the file size is notably smaller, even saving as 32 bit. It seems to me paint.net borks something in the way it saves files that is important for 7 Days to Die. Perhaps something to do with file compression? Probably what Kam was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Brycie View Post
    Anyone get the Biome editing to work yet? I can get it to load using the edited biomes.PNG but the areas of burnt forest I replaced with normal forest appear as holes in the map.

Edit* Got it working
    Edit : This isn't relevant anymore.
    Spoiler: 
    Might I ask how? Did you use another program, or is there a setting somewhere I missed?

Edit : I tried Krita, but am still having issues. The stuff I don't change works fine and I can get into the game, but when I ran into an edit it created a hole and threw the null reference error, which ended chunk generation as well.

A brush setting maybe? I sampled the color, so I don't know why it didn't paint the exact color it needed.

I sorted out what I was doing wrong, it was the brush doing blending and anti-aliasing. The pixel art brush works fine.

However, I've ran into a problem with the splat3 png, I can't seem to erase roads. The game still generates roads even if they aren't drawn in the file. The ones I do draw show up, but the ones I delete remain.

I am editing a random gen file though, so maybe it has something to do with that? Anyone else having this issue?
    Last edited by Gipothegip; 12-17-2018 at 06:48 AM.

Reconstructionist 4sheetzngeegles's Avatar

Extended Dtm tutorial

Here is the extended dtm tut i promised. Just download extract folder, and open the index.htm

****https://mega.nz/#!cP4iRY5a!wJfmuFZqbKJmXAB1TkwITfN76x6UuClSw4mlUge ONJM

@Gipothegip If you are deleting roads and the road is returning then, you need to check the setting in the app you are using, you are not deleting the layers. Easiest way to verify is , create a png same size as the splat 3 with "transparency background" save and put it in your folder. no roads, but your edited one has them. means you didnt edit the correct layer. second way, save your png as a tga, edit te 3 rgb layers save open that file then save it as png.

@brycie if you get holes in your map, 1 use solid brush, better to use solid pencil, 2 use only exact color, any other coloreven if off by 1 is considered invisible to game. After edit zoom to 500+% and look for any off colors. Most of the issues happen at borders between two biomes. If you zoom in you see a blended color, but eyedropper will say 0 65 0 instead of 0 64 0. that 1 dot is a 3 meterblock in game or equal to bad chunk load

Zombie Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipothegip View Post

However, I've ran into a problem with the splat3 png, I can't seem to erase roads. The game still generates roads even if they aren't drawn in the file. The ones I do draw show up, but the ones I delete remain.

I am editing a random gen file though, so maybe it has something to do with that? Anyone else having this issue?
    I've been doing all of my world edits in paint.net and had a similar issue with the splat3.png

I had added a whole bunch of roads and paths without issue, my problem came when I wanted to delete some and using the eraser in paint.net. Basically after loading up the world I found i had some huge roads where I had deleted small ones and it was not until I seen the in-game height map (world editor) and actually noticed i had what appeared to be white gaps mirroring exactly where I had deleted stuff from the splat3.png

I was able to revert the changes and get rid of the issue by merging an old backup with the edited one full of holes and have tried sampling an empty area on the image and painting over the stuff I want rid off (same problem). Deleting from the layer just seems to punch a hole through it and leaves asphalt where ever these holes are.

I'm sure this is fixable and it's just me doing something wrong, if anyone knows how to remove/erase from a layer without totally sabotaging the image, that information might just get you a Christmas card!.

Scavenger
    In Arma 3, a lot of us use L3DT to make / edit heightmaps http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/

You can even set it up to have a new climate, so it would do your biomes at the same time

Refugee
    Hi guys for some reason, im not generating the dtm.tga file in my worlds folder, just the raw file. Im running single player local install, same directory as the video, even searched the whole directory and couldnt find it. Any ideas?

Guppycurian Forum Whore Guppycur's Avatar
    There's something terribly wrong with the current build; I'm hoping it's temporary, but yeh, it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sheetzngeegles View Post
    @Gipothegip If you are deleting roads and the road is returning then, you need to check the setting in the app you are using, you are not deleting the layers. Easiest way to verify is , create a png same size as the splat 3 with "transparency background" save and put it in your folder. no roads, but your edited one has them. means you didnt edit the correct layer. second way, save your png as a tga, edit te 3 rgb layers save open that file then save it as png.
    What do you mean by "layers"? Are you talking about channels?

I do see that something is still there looking at the rgb/a channels. I'll have to figure out how to delete those, clearly they aren't being erased.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief_of_Always View Post
    Hi guys for some reason, im not generating the dtm.tga file in my worlds folder, just the raw file. Im running single player local install, same directory as the video, even searched the whole directory and couldnt find it. Any ideas?
    I've noticed that too, it must be a change to one of the recent builds, as when I was first fiddling with it the game did generate a TGA file.

Hello guys, Anyine know how i cna generate water and roads in my new Heightmap?

I have a few bits of info. i have created a height map myself. and used the water.xml from a generated world of the same size. it works for the most part. here is what i have found out so far.
    in the water.xml there is a lot of listings for water. so it tells me its not just one level of water at -1 like it used to be. its broken up into sections. each one seems to be about 20 blocks a long the z axis. the x axis seams to be infinite.
    Don't quote me on this info, as i was sick when i did the science. so given the correct info, we could create a water.xml that could work for most custom worlds, given that the y value of the water was the same for all water entries. if you need like a small lake at the top of the mountain, that would require its own special water entry. but for the most part, sea level will all be the same y value.

so in conclusion, if you created a water entry for every 20 z blocks, for the full length of the map, say 8192 that would be 410 entries. and they should allow for water at any area that is below the specified z value. i actually had towns and stuff at the bottom of the ocean during one render, and with a proper scuba mod, that would be fun to explore a water world. (<- all credit to McTaco if someone uses that idea.)
    also one time i messed up my height map and the land was like 20 blocks above each poi, so i had to dig down to reach any poi it was... interesting. (<- again, credit to McTaco if someone uses this idea )

As far as roads, i was made to believe it was a simple as editing the splat3.png
    problem is, its just not a black background it is transparent. and when i edited it, putting transparent as the background, the entire world was a road lol.
    so until someone finds out more info in regards to that, perhaps I'm missing something and there is a layer order or something, i can only suggest using a splat 3 from a different render
    Last edited by backdownhipi; 12-23-2018 at 01:04 AM. Reason: 1st edit, spelling. 2nd edit, additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Thief_of_Always View Post
    I'm guessing you're on a Mac.

The .tga does not appear to be generated on my Mac either.

Presumably, we should still be able to edit the .raw file... but I'm still coming up with a workflow for this.

Quote Originally Posted by AnsontheToad View Post

I have been trying to find an image editor that will show the height map in 3d. That would be cool.
    You should be able to use Fiji/ImageJ for this:
    https://fiji.sc/