Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50

Thread: Crossbow vs compound bow

  1. #31
    Tracker mr.natural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    France
    Posts
    191
    Rep Power
    0
    Seems that everybody is forgetting about the explosive bolts, just saying

  2. #32
    Inventor
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    958
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.natural View Post
    Seems that everybody is forgetting about the explosive bolts, just saying
    Probably because explosive projectiles in A17 didn't work properly in the beginning. That was fixed in the meantime but you still have to invest points in the perk to get them to work the same way as in A16.

    I loved the explosive bolts. You could turn a horde of running zombies into a horde of crawling zombies.
    Last edited by RipClaw; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:36 AM.

  3. #33
    Zombie Hunter
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    408
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.devolver View Post
    The main purpose of mods should be to add more fun to the game, not to fix its bugs.
    I just added a 0 to the mag size to see if it would work. It does, and it is fun.
    mind you, without a scope, the stack of bolts blocks your view. (fine)

    Damage... well, I thought most of the weaps were wussy so cranked it.
    Went too far in a few cases, but it is amusing to me, and the drawbacks make it worth it.

    EG don't use the shotgun on meat critters, it gibs them. no meat. same for a full burst from the machinegun. (not ak47)

    the ragdoll effect is hilarious too.

    explody bolts were great, and are not bad now. just expensive to make.

  4. #34
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by meganoth View Post
    Are you saying that too much range would be a disadvantage?
    I mean that a crossbow has far less range than a longbow which would give some differentiation between the arrow-based weapons.
    60 feet versus 300 feet of range according to YouTube.

    A crossbow allows a novice to use larger bolts compared to what they could draw back with a longbow.

    It's like Hellboy; he's a terrible shot but his handgun uses really big bullets.

  5. #35
    Survivor
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    67
    Rep Power
    0
    I've rethought the crossbow. I now use the compound at low levels and switch to the crossbow for high levels. You can put a scope on the xbow, there is WAY less arrow drop and I one shot zeds in the head easily. I never use it with a lot of zeds cuz I just pull out a pistol for that. The arrow drop/scope advantage with the xbow changes it to be better than the compound for me. And yes, explosive bolts too.

  6. #36
    Survivor Syncrinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree with Ryan. The crossbow is my go-to choice for ranged combat. It took a lot of getting used to after swapping from the bow but nowadays it feels second nature. Even without a scope I feel like I can hit every shot I fire.

  7. #37
    Tracker OldManBrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Alpha 16.4
    Posts
    168
    Rep Power
    1
    I HATE the compound bow's sights.

    Just on that alone, I can't use it with that giant circle ring in the way of your view.

    Personally, I always mod the game so that the base bow and crossbow can compete with other weapons mid-late game in situations with lower enemy counts.

    The base bow I make fire faster with higher quality bows so you can pull some legolas stuff.

    The crossbow I make much more powerful so it knocks back enemies and can kill them with 1 shot.


    Vanilla though, I generally don't like any of the bows because the zombies can usually close the distance before I can take them out. I'm generally using either melee or a gun. Then again I'm still playing a16 so this stuff might have changed in a17.

  8. #38
    Arch Necromancer Morloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Spread'n your ankles...
    Posts
    1,408
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Painless View Post
    I mean that a crossbow has far less range than a longbow which would give some differentiation between the arrow-based weapons.
    60 feet versus 300 feet of range according to YouTube.
    Err...so, Tom Brady can throw a football over 4x farther than a proven instrument of death once outlawed by The Church?



    -Morloc

  9. #39
    Reconstructionist OnlyMeiya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    514
    Rep Power
    1
    I use the compound bow from early game all through late game, once you get used to the arrow drop you can snipe heads with it in sneak mode reliably and a modded up bow with steel arrows performs just as good as a crossbow damage wise, late game your perception and boom headshot perks should be max or close to max to where it doesn't matter,

    You should always be aiming for head shots on zombies.

    IMHO the crossbow is terrible all around.

  10. #40
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Morloc View Post
    Err...so, Tom Brady can throw a football over 4x farther than a proven instrument of death once outlawed by The Church?

    -Morloc
    Apart from that being completely lost on me, what's your point?

  11. #41
    Reconstructionist OnlyMeiya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    514
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Painless View Post
    Apart from that being completely lost on me, what's your point?
    Hes saying that the crossbow does not have a range of 300 meters.

  12. #42
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0
    I feel that the crossbow would be a better weapon if you had to manually reload it. At least then you'd have the ability to retreat to a better position before incurring the reload penalty.

  13. #43
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMeiya View Post
    Hes saying that the crossbow does not have a range of 300 meters.
    I meant 300 for the bow. I was giving an example, I don't know what the exact figures are; it was more about the difference between the two types of weapons.

  14. #44
    Reconstructionist OnlyMeiya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    514
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by captaine View Post
    I feel that the crossbow would be a better weapon if you had to manually reload it. At least then you'd have the ability to retreat to a better position before incurring the reload penalty.
    I've asked the Devs to create a setting where you can toggle Auto-reload on and off, especially with the "Run and Gun"Perk not being readily available at the start, being forced into a reload situation by the game when you aren't in a good position too can literally get you killed.

    I might not want to reload that weapon I might want to switch to another one that is already fully loaded or I might want to retreat to a better point where I have the distance from zed to do so.

  15. #45
    Refugee
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyMeiya View Post
    I've asked the Devs to create a setting where you can toggle Auto-reload on and off, especially with the "Run and Gun"Perk not being readily available at the start, being forced into a reload situation by the game when you aren't in a good position too can literally get you killed.

    I might not want to reload that weapon I might want to switch to another one that is already fully loaded or I might want to retreat to a better point where I have the distance from zed to do so.
    That would be great as well, really anything that gives the player the choice about when to reload slow single-shot weapons would make them more viable. Perhaps people would even start using the blunderbuss

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •