Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crossbow vs compound bow

Scavenger
    Crossbow would be more viable is there wasn't stamina drain during aiming. Why the heck does anything other than bows drain stamina while aimed?

Tracker
    The crossbow sucks. Like others have said, the reload time makes it basically worthless. The extra damage it does per shot doesn't make up for that at all.

Bows also drain stamina, maybe at slower paces but they do when you got the arrow ready. It definitely is more drained when you aim with right click, but without it also takes a bit of stamina.

Does anyone know if the entity damage increase from Charging Bull applies to bows?

Inventor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    The crossbow is not a good weapon for a running gunfight... until you invest some perk points...
    Bows will always reload faster but crossbows do more damage. Up to you...
    If you are in a running gunfight, don't be in a running gunfight. Once you 'go loud' because ♥♥♥♥ hit the fan, it's 1000% better to swap to a melee weapon and back the ♥♥♥♥ out to someplace where you can control turf.

Without Run and Gun and Archery, crossbows are a death wish. You need a melee weapon to POI raid, and usually a back-up shotgun for ferals and irradiated. It goes without saying: ARMOR: YOU NEED IT. You don't outrun a feral, not with the ♥♥♥♥ty stamina system in play.
    Last edited by Zourin; 11-28-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Ranger
    I've never taken to either the compound or the crossbow. Both just "feel wrong" to me. The compound bow less, but still. I get I'm not the same as others, but I'll probably be making level 5 normal bows and applying mods rather than using the more powerful versions.

Refugee
    The crossbow has too much range, hits with too little impact and the handling makes it seem like it is designed specifically to get you killed.

If you are not in a completely safe position it's a death trap.

Community Moderator SylenThunder's Avatar
    At least they aren't making you wait to crank it like you should be if you actually made the thing from scrap.

Colony Founder
    Crossbow should become a viable option as a filler between bow and guns again. That was a nice progression path in game with a logic rate of increasing damage while you level.

Inventor
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Painless View Post
    The crossbow has too much range, hits with too little impact and the handling makes it seem like it is designed specifically to get you killed.

If you are not in a completely safe position it's a death trap.
    For me, the crossbow is the preferred weapon for stealth. With the 2x scope I can deliver very precise head shots. With the bow I cannot aim so exactly. Besides it happens to me with the bow often that I get stuck in the target mode. Not good if I have a feral zombie on my heels.

And with the exploding bolts the crossbow is a serious weapon in the horde night.

Inventor
    Quote Originally Posted by pApA^LeGBa View Post
    Crossbow should become a viable option as a filler between bow and guns again. That was a nice progression path in game with a logic rate of increasing damage while you level.
    In A16 and before, I rarely used a firearm. The crossbow was always sufficient and with the exploding bolts I could kill many zombies in the horde night. Besides the deers always flew so beautifully when I accidentally had an exploding bolt loaded.

Colony Founder
    ALL bows and crossbow suck at the moment. Compound bow isn't that much better than a wooden bow and yet it's considerably harder to repair on the go and both bows suck for being slow and unreliable at longer distances, both bows are probably the worst weapons to use in situations when you have to deal with several zombies at once in which case it's better to just give up and run away if possible. Crossbow used to be a decent weapon for stealth as well as a decent backup weapon even in those situations when you're running away from horde, you used to be able to take down some zombies to remove the biggest threat to get more time for retreat, however for several Alpha versions it's been cursed with the double reload bug TFP doesn't care about fixing, which puts usability of this weapon on the same level of compound bow if not even lower.

Zombie Hunter
    Well, I upped the damage for both, and made my xbow have a mag size of 10.

Works well.

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Painless View Post
    Are you saying that too much range would be a disadvantage?

Colony Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianbluebeer View Post
    Well, I upped the damage for both, and made my xbow have a mag size of 10.

Works well.

The main purpose of mods should be to add more fun to the game, not to fix its bugs.