Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prefab Editor Explained

Refugee
    did not found the biome line yet, township wilderness isn't only pine forest or is it?

Refugee
    ok found it, sry
    and the street or space for it isnt needed?

Refugee

Ground level and stability questions

I've been using level editors since the Doom Wad days, and have been noodling with building prefabs for 7DTD for years, but just didn't have the patience until the editing tools were made available. Your videos were extremely helpful Slaan, and the comment on YouTube you shared with someone around how z and g function were critical in helping me along. I'm still stumped however by a couple of seemingly simple issues I can't figure out. Specifically around ground level and stability.

The primary issue I'm having is that I can't figure out how to set the ground level while building so that I can edit the subterranean parts of my prefabs. I have to edit them by using the "move whole prefab up" function, and when I return my prefab to the appropriate level everything below ground level is invisible. Further, when play testing these areas are simply cutoff. I must be missing something obvious as this seems like it would be an important editing feature. I feel silly just for asking.

The other issue is that whenever I load a prefab the stability of the structure is always nonfunctional, or yellow when shown in the editor. If saved like this and play tested the buildings obviously just collapse on any interaction. Recalculating stability resolves this and the structures show as green (where appropriate) and can be saved and played without issue, but I'm wondering if there's something I'm overlooking which causes them to load with no stability.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Zombie Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Deverezieaux View Post
    I've been using level editors since the Doom Wad days, and have been noodling with building prefabs for 7DTD for years, but just didn't have the patience until the editing tools were made available. Your videos were extremely helpful Slaan, and the comment on YouTube you shared with someone around how z and g function were critical in helping me along. I'm still stumped however by a couple of seemingly simple issues I can't figure out. Specifically around ground level and stability.

The primary issue I'm having is that I can't figure out how to set the ground level while building so that I can edit the subterranean parts of my prefabs. I have to edit them by using the "move whole prefab up" function, and when I return my prefab to the appropriate level everything below ground level is invisible. Further, when play testing these areas are simply cutoff. I must be missing something obvious as this seems like it would be an important editing feature. I feel silly just for asking.

The other issue is that whenever I load a prefab the stability of the structure is always nonfunctional, or yellow when shown in the editor. If saved like this and play tested the buildings obviously just collapse on any interaction. Recalculating stability resolves this and the structures show as green (where appropriate) and can be saved and played without issue, but I'm wondering if there's something I'm overlooking which causes them to load with no stability.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.
    The ground level in the editor is a funny thing, typically I would build everything above ground for the very same reasons you mention. I've had success adjusting the ground level AFTER creating most of the prefab, this even adjusts the y offset in the xml when saved and reloading a prefab after setting the ground level seems to work ok. I'm sure at one point we could import/paste below the ground level but it's obviously not like that now. It depends on how your dropping the finished product into the game as if your using the world editor for a manual placement the ground level is moot as you will have to sink the prefab to the correct depth anyway. The main thing it will affect will be if you use the rwgmixer, but even if this is the case you can manually adjust the y offset on the prefab to take it's basement into consideration

I don't use the playtest feature in the editor and would stick to actual in-game spawning to test everything.

Scavenger
    The tutorials have been very helpful in creating prefabs. But I do have a question, when I place sleepers into what I build, and run a test, nothing spawns in. Further, when I hit ESC to bring up the menus, it shows 0 sleepers whereas if I load in an existing prefab it will show the possible sleepers. Am I missing a step to register the sleeper volumes?

Scavenger
    Nevermind. I figured it out. Took me several hours, but I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by pakrninja View Post
    Nevermind. I figured it out. Took me several hours, but I got it.
    Saw your comment on one of the videos that you figured it out. What was missed?... because I seem to be missing the same thing.

Edit: My workaround was to copy and paste a sleeper volume into the xml. Once it's there, I can locate it in the prefab/level editor and adjust accordingly. Still would like to know how create one from within the editor space though.
    Last edited by AtomicUs5000; 01-06-2019 at 04:41 AM.

Zombie Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicUs5000 View Post
    Saw your comment on one of the videos that you figured it out. What was missed?... because I seem to be missing the same thing.

Edit: My workaround was to copy and paste a sleeper volume into the xml. Once it's there, I can locate it in the prefab/level editor and adjust accordingly. Still would like to know how create one from within the editor space though.
    when in the editor press F6, there's a sleeper volume button at the bottom which will place a new box that you can then move around/manipulate. I was doing the manual XML trick for ages before I realised we had the button.

Hi,
    Anyone have an error when starting the in game editor in Alpha 17.1 (b9)? I keep getting a Parameter called 'Key' cannot be set to null.

@AussieWombat
    Delete the empty world directory. Default location:

C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\S aves\Empty
    Last edited by Pille; 01-24-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaan View Post
    when in the editor press F6, there's a sleeper volume button at the bottom which will place a new box that you can then move around/manipulate. I was doing the manual XML trick for ages before I realised we had the button.

Hi that's useful to know but I'm still having trouble with resizing the sleeper box after its put the default in the game.
    I click on it and it turns green, but then shift-G or G now doesn't work with it or even after deselecting it
    I can't use shift G or G for reshaping the normal selection box. I can still use Z to make the selection box
    but as soon as I've spawned the sleeper box it nerfs me altering any selection boxes.

I'm probably doing something obvious wrong here but can anyone point me in the right direction?

2nd question, I saw Slaans reply on the video about upgrading blocks in the prefab editor using either WSAD or arrow keys.

Again I am unable to get this working, once I select an area of blocks press either set of keys nothing appears to change.

Any other ideas what I'd doing wrong.

I am nearly getting to the finish of my first prefab, just need to upgrade a couple of areas of blocks and add the sleepers in.

Thanks in Advance

Blackrook aka Cactiphile

When you need to rotate a block, you can set the type of rotation, by pressing and holding 'R'.
    You can then use the left mouse to rotate the block into the desired rotation and paste with the right mouse like usual.

Had to rotate a corrugated corner such that the rounded corner was at the top, Like in Trailer_park_01. Same way as setting the paint texture for the paint brush.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieWombat View Post
    When you need to rotate a block, you can set the type of rotation, by pressing and holding 'R'.
    You can then use the left mouse to rotate the block into the desired rotation and paste with the right mouse like usual.

Had to rotate a corrugated corner such that the rounded corner was at the top, Like in Trailer_park_01. Same way as setting the paint texture for the paint brush.
    Thanks I figured that one out, but tricky sometimes as you say where fences /corners meet.
    What I was looking for was how to upgrade a selected area of blocks eg concrete >>> reinforced concrete
    According to the help menu you can use the WASD keys but this doesn't want to work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrook View Post
    Thanks I figured that one out, but tricky sometimes as you say where fences /corners meet.
    What I was looking for was how to upgrade a selected area of blocks eg concrete >>> reinforced concrete
    According to the help menu you can use the WASD keys but this doesn't want to work for me.
    For me, the description in the help, is a little vague. I can only assume you need a modifier to stop the WASD keys being used for player movement. Much like Press and hold G then press WASD to move selection around.

As for the concrete >>> reinforced concrete. I found that the reinforced concrete texture, is a painted surface. Use a paint brush and the r key to select the reinforced concrete texture and paint it on. I assume.

If you place a concrete block , then paint all sides, you will have a block to use for the L (fill selection), in you inventory.

After painting the block, press the R key while you still have the paintbrush active, and move the mouse over the 9 o'clock position "Copy Block". (The focused block is copied)

I found this to work if, in your toolbelt you had the paint brush before the block you where painting AND a blank spot for the newly created block. [EDIT] You just need a blank slot after the brush [\EDIT]

The block is copied into the inventory. Same name, Paintbrush logo on top left.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by AussieWombat; 01-27-2019 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieWombat View Post
    For me, the description in the help, is a little vague. I can only assume you need a modifier to stop the WASD keys being used for player movement. Much like Press and hold G then press WASD to move selection around.

As for the concrete >>> reinforced concrete. I found that the reinforced concrete texture, is a painted surface. Use a paint brush and the r key to select the reinforced concrete texture and paint it on. I assume.

If you place a concrete block , then paint all sides, you will have a block to use for the L (fill selection), in you inventory.

Unfortunately I need the actual upgraded reinforced concrete blocks for a safe room rather than the texture. Although you can use a wrench to upgrade one, the concrete doesn't seem to set in the editor. Think I might have a temp solution by copying a block from one the bank prefabs but its a shame that I can't figure out the way to do it properly, as you say its probably a key combination that's not explained properly.